Posted on | December 4, 2007 | No Comments
This is eminently forgiving of ingredient substitutions and dietary requirements. It’s also delicious and easy. What more could you want?
This is a delicious gfcf, gluten free recipe! It is also a wheat free, dairy free, egg free, tree nut free, peanut free, fish free, shellfish free, top 8 allergen free, corn free, South Beach phase 1 safe recipe.
- about 2 lbs chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 2+ cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/2 bag prechopped cole slaw mix – this gives the mouth-feel of noodles, without the carbs, calories, or gluten of noodles (watch out for carrots here, if you avoid them for South Beach – some stores have pre-sliced cabbage without the carrots)
- 1-2 carrots, diced (all veggies could be omitted or substituted based on preferences)
- 2-4 stalks celery, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- a few handfuls of frozen chopped spinach
- chicken broth to cover
- spices to taste (basil, oregano, italian seasoning, kosher salt)
Saute the onion, garlic. Add vegetables and chicken. Cook until meat is browned.
Add all ingredients to crock pot. Let simmer (covered) all day on low. Serve as is or with noodles, wild rice, or brown rice.
You can also do this on the stove, simply let simmer for an hour or so for the flavors to meld.