This recipe is an adaptation of one I found online. I made several modifications, though, to make it work well for our family. Don’t be intimidated by the list of ingredients – it’s a very easy recipe to make. Less than 10 minutes prep time, then the rest is cooking in the crock pot. You could also simmer on the stove for a couple hours if you prefer not to use a crock pot.
This recipe is gfcf, wheat, gluten, dairy, soy, nut, peanut, egg, fish, shellfish, and corn free. Please remember to double check ingredients on all labels. This is not vegan or vegetarian, but it could be if you modify it by simply removing the ground meat and adding another can of cannelini beans – the quinoa and beans give it a lot of protein.
- 1 1/2 pounds extra lean ground beef/ground turkey/or TVP if veg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 carrots — cut into circles (4 baby carrots = 1 carrot)
- 1 medium onion — chopped
- 3-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon parsley
- several grinds black pepper
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed well
- 3 cups broth or water
- 1 28 oz can diced or chunky crushed tomato
- 1 14 oz can cannelini beans (white kidney beans), drained and rinsed)
- 1 6 oz bag baby spinach (or equivalent frozen spinach)
Heat oil in large pan over medium heat. Saute carrots, onion, and garlic until they begin to get tender. Add ground beef and brown. Drain well.
Add all ingredients EXCEPT the baby spinach/frozen spinach to the crock pot.
Cover; cook on LOW 8 to 10 hours.
1/2 hour before serving, add baby spinach/frozen spinach and stir.
Serve as is, or with breadsticks, focaccia, or rolls.