Adapted from 125 Best Gluten-Free Recipes by Donna Washburn and Heather Butt.
- 3/4 cup bean flour
- 3/4 cup sorghum flour (or 1 1/2 cups total of pea, or any mix)
- 3/4 cup total starch (mix of tapioca and arrowroot works great for us)
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup margarine or shortening (we use Fleishmann’s Unsalted or Spectrum shortening)
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups milk substitute with 2 tsp cider vinegar added to sour
Whisk together dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
In your mixer, cream margarine and brown sugar. When fluffy, add eggs, one at a time. Ad vanilla.
Mix in dry ingredients and milk sub, alternating between the two. Stir until just combined.
Spoon into greased pans (this makes 2 layers), and let stand for 30 minutes if possible (it still tastes good even if you forget to do this).
Preheat oven to 350, and bake about 30-40 minutes – less for cupcakes, more for a bundt pan. Let cool in pans for about 10 min before taking out.
This cake sticks to my cooling racks, so I always line the racks with wax or parchment paper after I take it out of the pan.
Here is this cake filled with the ice cream: