This is an adaptation of a recipe a friend found in the Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook: Feasting with Your Slow Cooker. We all loved this, AND it was already gluten and dairy free! I just tweaked a few things to suit our own tastes.
- 12 slices cooked bacon, crumbled or chopped (I use 1 package precooked bacon)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 32 oz (2 lbs) frozen corn
- 3 cans creamed corn
- 1 tsp Tony Chachere’s cajun seasoning
- 2 tsp Worcesteshire sauce – Lea & Perrins is GF (could sub soy sauce if you cannot eat fish)
- 4-5 medium potatoes, diced
- 2 cups water
- a couple pinches kosher salt and ground pepper to taste
If you have the time, quickly saute the onion and garlic in a skillet over medium heat. When they are tender, add to the crock pot. (If you don’t have the time, you can just add them raw to the crock pot – just make sure the soup cooks for several hours)
Add all other ingredients to the crock pot. Be careful to stir after adding ingredients. Don’t add all the frozen corn at once, or it will make a giant frozen clump that is very hard to stir.
Cook on low for about 8 hours, or on high for about 4.
We served this with some italian sausages. It was delicious!