My husband has fond memories of this dinner, growing up in a house where people could eat dairy. I don’t remember ever having it, but the idea of creamy food on top of noodles sounded good. And it was a different way of using the perpetually-on-sale ground beef. If you serve it on spaghetti squash instead of regular noodles, it is safe for South Beach phase 1, too!
This is a delicious gfcf, gluten free recipe! It is also a wheat free, dairy free, egg free, tree nut free, peanut free, fish free, shellfish free, top 8 allergen free, and corn free recipe.
So here it is – Gluten and Dairy-free Beef Stroganoff! Tasty, too.
- 1 batch White Sauce – BUT, use 1/4 cup lemon juice in place of broth or wine
- 1 lb GF noodles, cooked according to package directions
- splash olive oil
- 1 TBS margarine or another TBS olive oil
- 7-10 oz mushrooms, sliced (I like crimini/baby bella)
- 1 medium/large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 to 1.5 lbs ground beef (our stores seem to always have 1.3 lbs for some odd reason
- a couple pinches of kosher salt
- 2 TBS GF flour or starch
Make white sauce and begin cooking the noodles according to package directions.
Over medium heat, melt the margarine in the oil in a largish skillet and cook the onion, garlic, and mushrooms. Add a pinch of salt while it is cooking. Scoop the cooked veggies into a bowl, and use the same skillet to brown the meat, also adding a pinch of salt.
When the meat has browned, drain off the fat and then add the veggies back into the skillet. Pour in the White sauce, and then heat through and allow to thicken a bit.
After the noodles are done cooking drain and put in a large serving dish. “Butter” them with olive oil/flax oil/margarine, and then pour the creamy meat mixture on top.