Trader Joes was advertising coffee cookies with macadamia nuts, coconut, and chocolate chips. This really excited me, so here is the result:
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup instant coffee crystals (I use decaf)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 TBS egg replacer mixed with 2 TBS warm water
- 1/4 cup applesauce (or sub this and the above line with 2 eggs)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 cup gf flour (sorghum, millet, bean, amaranth, … )
- 1 cup starch (mix tapioca/arrowroot/corn/potato – pick one or two)
- 1 1/2 cup coconut
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- macadamia nuts to taste
Preheat oven to 375.
Cream shortening and sugars. Add coffee, vanilla, and egg substitutes. Mix well.
Mix other dry ingredients (salt through starch) in a medium bowl. Add slowly to sugar mixture until fully incorperated.
Add coconut & chocolate chips and mix until just combined.
Line cookie sheets with parchment or silpat. Use a cookie scoop (or a spoon) to scoop onto cookie sheets – walnut size lumps are good. DO NOT PRESS DOWN. Add 2-3 macadamia pieces per cookie if using macadamias.
Bake at 375 for 10 min. Take out of oven and let cool on cookie sheet for 2-3 min and then let cool on cookie rack.