Posted on | December 6, 2007 | No Comments
Very yummy. This came from a taste in my head and an OJ cookie recipe in a book I was reading. Many failed adaptations later, here it is.
This is a delicious gfcf, gluten free, family-friendly recipe! It is also (if you double check ingredients!) a wheat free, dairy free, soy free, egg free, tree nut free, peanut free, fish free, shellfish free, top 8 allergen free, and vegan/vegetarian recipe.
- 2/3 cup shortening or margarine
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 egg or 1 TBS egg replacer mixed with 2 TBS warm water
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- (I bet lemon zest would be great in these, but I was out of lemons)
- 2 cups GF flour mix (I used 2/3 c each pea & amaranth flour, 1/3 c each tapioca and arrowroot starches)
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a mixer, cream shortening & sugar. Add egg or Egg Replacer and beat thoroughly. Add lemon juice (& zest if you have it). Whisk dry ingredients together and add slowly to wet ingredients.
Use a cookie scooper or a teaspoon to drop about 2 inches apart onto parchment paper or silpat on cookie sheet.
Bake 8-12 min until light brown on edges – watch out, they go from tan to burned very, very quickly.
- 3 TBS margarine/shortening
- 1 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 1/2 TBS lemon juice
- (I bet some zest would be nice here too)
Beat margarine/shortening. Add confectioners sugar and lemon juice until mixed into a very nice frosting texture. Spread on cookies and let set.
Eat ‘em up, yum!