Posted on | December 6, 2007 | No Comments
This is a delicious gfcf, gluten free, family-friendly recipe! It is also (if you double check ingredients!) a wheat free, dairy free, soy free, egg free, tree nut free, peanut free, fish free, shellfish free, corn free, top 8 allergen free, and South Beach phase 2 safe recipe.
This recipe is delicious, and can be ready very quickly or simmer for a while. This was one of the first soups my kids enjoyed!
- 2 LB ground “meatball mix” (or ground turkey, or your favorite ground meat)
- 1 TBSP Italian seasoning, plus a little dried oregano & basil
- 1/2 TSP garlic powder or dehydrated roasted garlic
- 1-2 CUP chopped carrots
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2+ cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 TBSP olive oil (or less, depending on the meat you are using)
- 3-4 CUPS cooked brown rice (more if preferred)
- 2 quarts vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cups crushed tomato (from a can)
- pinch or two kosher salt
- a few shakes of oregano/basil/parsley to taste
Mix meat with spices. Roll into thumbnail-sized balls. Add oil to skillet and sauté meatballs in pan until pink is gone and they are light brown in color. Remove meatballs, leaving juice in pan. Addcarrots, onion, garlic, celery to juice and sauté until tender.
Heat broth in a stockpot. Add rice, meatballs, veggies and juice. Stir. Add crushed tomatoes and season. Heat until hot through. Add additional broth/water and seasonings as needed for desired thickness and taste. Letting this simmer for a bit is wonderful, and lets the flavors really mix, but it tastes great as soon as it’s hot, too.
The meatballs are great for later (frozen, whatever) – this size is great for kids.