This is one of those recipes where I’m not sure where the original came from, but here’s my current version – many, many, many adaptations from the original.
This is a delicious gfcf, gluten free, family-friendly recipe! It is also (if you double check ingredients!) a wheat free, dairy free, soy free, egg free, tree nut free, peanut free, fish free, shellfish free, corn free, top 8 allergen free, and vegan/vegetarian recipe.
- 1 cup pumpkin/sweet potato/butternut squash puree
- 3 t ground flax seeds mixed with 1/2 c water (or 2 eggs if not egg-sensitive)
- 3/4 c canola or other oil
- 2 t vanilla
- 1 1/3 c gf flour (amaranth/bean mix or any other nutrient-rich flours)
- 2/3 c starch (all of one or a mix)
- 1 t XG or guar gum (if using “regular” flour, omit this and just use 2 cups flour)
- 2 t cinnamon
- 1 t nutmeg
- 1 t allspice
- 2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 2 cups brown or cane sugar
Preheat oven to 350.
In mixer, blend wet ingredients. In bowl, mix dry. Slowly blend dry into wet ingredients for two minutes. Spread into 9×13 baking pan and bake for 20-30, until it passes toothpick test.
frost or not as desired
- 2 T spectrum shortening
- 1-2 T pumpkin
- 1 T Water
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
melt shortening and pumpkin in saucepan. remove from heat. Add water and sugar. Beat until smooth, thinning if necessary. Spread immediately, it will form a thin, orange glaze. Yum.