This one is gobbled down by everyone! It can also be shaped into a person, using added salsa and olives as decorations for halloween…
This is a delicious gfcf, gluten free recipe! It is also a wheat free, dairy free, egg free, tree nut free, peanut free, fish free, shellfish free, top 8 allergen free, and corn free recipe. This recipe is safe for South Beach phase 1. The refried/mashed beans hold the meatloaf together without needing any egg.
- 2-3lbs ground meat (lean beef or turkey)
- 1 14oz can pintos, mashed, or refried beans
- 1 10oz can Rotel diced tomatoes & green chilis (or another brand), drained
- 1 onion, diced (optional)
- 3+ cloves garlic, minced or pressed (optional)
- pinch or two of Kosher salt
- about 1 tsp each of chili powder and cumin
Preheat oven to 350
Saute onion and garlic in a small saucepan (if you are using them).
In a large bowl, mix together the mashed beans and the Rotel. Add the onion/garlic mixture. Add the salt & spices, mix well. Add meat and combine.
Place in a lightly oiled glass baking pan or some other vessel. Bake for about an hour, or until it is no longer pink in the center. As you can see from the above picture, you can mold it into shapes. We made one for Halloween, too. Use your imagination!
Serve with salsa, avacado/guacamole, and olives. Folks who can do corn/carbs can eat it with tortilla chips, too.
This is great with a large salad!