This is a delicious gfcf, gluten free, family-friendly recipe! It is also (if you double check ingredients!) a wheat free, dairy free, soy free, egg free, tree nut free, peanut free, fish free, shellfish free, corn free, and top 8 allergen free recipe.
- Splash canola or other cooking oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced/pressed
- 1 1/3 lb raw Italian sausages, sliced
- 1 1/2 cup basmati or jasmine rice
- 1 can corn (omit if you cannot tolerate corn)
- 2 15oz can(s) black beans (drained)
- 2 cups water
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes (or petite diced)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 2 pinches kosher or sea salt
In a large soup pot, warm enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan over medium heat. Add onions and garlic. Sauté until they become tender.
Add sausage slices, and continue to cook, stirring frequently. Continue cooking until they become browned.
Pour rice into the pot, stirring so the rice absorbs some of the flavors from the sausages and onion/garlic.
Add all other ingredients, stirring. Turn heat up to a boil, stirring occasionally so it doesn’t burn on the bottom.
When it boils, turn heat down to low, and cover. Set timer for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally while it is cooking.
Serve on plates or in bowls with some steamed veggies or a salad.