adapted from an adaptation by a friend from a recipe in Roben Ryberg’s GF Kitchen book
Very light. A bit crispy on the outside, light and chewy on the inside. These donuts would please a newly-GF donut lover.
Enjoy the Cinnamon Donuts recipe, too!
This is a delicious gfcf, gluten free, family-friendly recipe! It is also (if you double check ingredients!) a wheat free, dairy free, soy free, egg free, tree nut free, peanut free, fish free, shellfish free, corn free, top 8 allergen free, and vegan recipe.
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg or egg replacer
- 1 cup tapioca, corn, or arrowroot starch
- 1/2 cup millet or sorghum flour
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup coconut milk or other milk substitute
- 2 TBS margarine or coconut oil
- 2 TBS coconut milk, soy milk, or rice milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar (watch out – this has corn unless specially purchased)
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (check for dairy & gluten free status)
Combine all ingredients except milk in a medium bowl. Slowly add milk while stirring and break up any lumps. The batter will be relatively thin.
Heat about 1/4″ oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
Scoop out with cookie scoop and drop into hot oil. Flip after a minute or so. Remove from oil and place on paper towels. (Be very careful! hot oil burns!)
Glaze, then repeat process with the next batches until batter is finished.
In another bowl melt margarine and chocolate chips in the microwave for a minute, adding 30 seconds and stirring if additional time is needed.
Add the milk substitute and powdered sugar. Mix until not lumpy, then drizzle over donuts. yum!