Archive for January, 2009
This is free of the top 8 allergens, so it is unlikely to be too much for a baby’s first birthday. If your child hasn’t yet had many spices, you can leave out the nutmeg & cinnamon, but it tastes great like this.
This recipe really works best as cupcakes, and since little kids like to do things themselves, mini-cupcakes or full-size cupcakes are a great size for little hands!
If you want to also serve a cake, the Pineapple Carrot Cake recipe is the “grown-up” version of this, with eggs and other treats.
This is a delicious gfcf, gluten free, family-friendly recipe! It is also (if you double check ingredients!) a wheat free, dairy free, soy free, egg free, tree nut free, peanut free, fish free, shellfish free, corn free, top 8 allergen free, and vegan/vegetarian recipe.
- 1 1/4 cup gluten–free flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 1 tsp xanthan gum or guar gum
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (if mixture looks too thick, add up to 1/4 cup more applesauce)
- 1 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup milk substitute with 1 tsp cider vinegar to sour
- 3/4 cup crushed pineapple (one of the small cans), drained (you can substitute more applesauce in place of the pineapple if you haven’t introduced pineapple)
- 2 cups shredded carrots (I suggest a food processor for this)
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease or prepare cupcake (or mini cupcake) pan with paper liners. This makes about 18 full size cupcakes or 12 full size and 12 mini-cupcakes.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, spices, and other dry ingredients.
Use an electric mixer in another bowl to beat applesauce, brown sugar, milk substitute, and pineapple until well blended. Slowly add dry ingredients. Stir in carrots.
Spoon into cupcake liners, fill about 2/3 full.
Bake for 20-30 min (15-20 for mini cupcakes) until cake tester comes out clean. Let sit in pan for 5-10 min, then let cool on a rack.
Serve as is or frost a few with Faux Cream Cheese frosting for adults or for that smashed-in face birthday cake shot!