This is a delicious gfcf, gluten free, family-friendly recipe! It is also (if you double check ingredients!) a wheat free, dairy free, egg free, tree nut free, peanut free, and fish free recipe. This is a faux fast food recipe, ready in under 45 minutes. If served without rice, this recipe is acceptable as part of the South Beach Diet phase 1.
- 2 TBS canola oil
- 1 small vidalia onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 handfuls snow peas
- 1 orange or red bell pepper (or 1/2 orange bell pepper and 1/2 red bell pepper)
- 6-10 crimini mushrooms, sliced (also called “Baby Bella” mushrooms)
- 1 lb large shrimp, shells, veins, and tails removed
- 8 oz baby spinach (approximately)
- 2 TBS soy sauce (LaChoy soy sauce, SanJ wheat-free Tamari, and Braggs Amino Acids are all gluten-free)
- 1 TBS balsamic vinegar
Dice the onion, mince the garlic, slice the mushrooms, and clean the shrimp. Remove the string from the snow peas. Slice the bell pepper into rings, and then slice the rings into smaller sections.
Heat oil over medium-high heat in a wok or a large skillet. Add onion and garlic to the heat, and stir. After they have cooked for a minute, add mushrooms, bell pepper, and snow peas. Use tongs or a wooden spoon to stir regularly, so they cook uniformly.
When the veggies begin to soften, add the shrimp. Keep the shrimp moving in the pan so they cook on both sides and cook evenly.
Add the soy sauce and balsamic vinegar to deglaze the pan, then add the spinach. Stir to combine, then cover and turn off the heat under the wok/skillet. Use the residual heat in the pan to wilt the spinach.
Stir to combine well, then serve over rice with chopsticks and additional soy sauce at the table – yum!