Archive for the ‘crock pot’ Category
This recipe is an adaptation of one I found online. I made several modifications, though, to make it work well for our family. Don’t be intimidated by the list of ingredients – it’s a very easy recipe to make. Less than 10 minutes prep time, then the rest is cooking in the crock pot. You could also simmer on the stove for a couple hours if you prefer not to use a crock pot.
This recipe is gfcf, wheat, gluten, dairy, soy, nut, peanut, egg, fish, shellfish, and corn free. Please remember to double check ingredients on all labels. This is not vegan or vegetarian, but it could be if you modify it by simply removing the ground meat and adding another can of cannelini beans – the quinoa and beans give it a lot of protein.
- 1 1/2 pounds extra lean ground beef/ground turkey/or TVP if veg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 carrots — cut into circles (4 baby carrots = 1 carrot)
- 1 medium onion — chopped
- 3-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon parsley
- several grinds black pepper
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed well
- 3 cups broth or water
- 1 28 oz can diced or chunky crushed tomato
- 1 14 oz can cannelini beans (white kidney beans), drained and rinsed)
- 1 6 oz bag baby spinach (or equivalent frozen spinach)
Heat oil in large pan over medium heat. Saute carrots, onion, and garlic until they begin to get tender. Add ground beef and brown. Drain well.
Add all ingredients EXCEPT the baby spinach/frozen spinach to the crock pot.
Cover; cook on LOW 8 to 10 hours.
1/2 hour before serving, add baby spinach/frozen spinach and stir.
Serve as is, or with breadsticks, focaccia, or rolls.
This is eminently forgiving of ingredient substitutions and dietary requirements. It’s also delicious and easy. What more could you want?
This is a delicious gfcf, gluten free recipe! It is also a wheat free, dairy free, egg free, tree nut free, peanut free, fish free, shellfish free, top 8 allergen free, corn free, South Beach phase 1 safe recipe.
- about 2 lbs chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 2+ cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/2 bag prechopped cole slaw mix – this gives the mouth-feel of noodles, without the carbs, calories, or gluten of noodles (watch out for carrots here, if you avoid them for South Beach – some stores have pre-sliced cabbage without the carrots)
- 1-2 carrots, diced (all veggies could be omitted or substituted based on preferences)
- 2-4 stalks celery, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- a few handfuls of frozen chopped spinach
- chicken broth to cover
- spices to taste (basil, oregano, italian seasoning, kosher salt)
Saute the onion, garlic. Add vegetables and chicken. Cook until meat is browned.
Add all ingredients to crock pot. Let simmer (covered) all day on low. Serve as is or with noodles, wild rice, or brown rice.
You can also do this on the stove, simply let simmer for an hour or so for the flavors to meld.