(This is adapted from the White Cake recipe in The 125 Best Gluten-Free Recipes)
This is a delicious gfcf, gluten free, family-friendly recipe! It is also (if you double check ingredients!) a wheat free, dairy free, soy free, tree nut free, peanut free, fish free, shellfish free, and corn free recipe.
Preheat oven to 350
lightly grease an 8″ cake pan or cupcake tins
- 3/4 cup millet flour (or other yellowish flour)
- 2/3 cup potato, tapioca, or amaranth starch (or a mix of starches)
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 tsp GF baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup Spectrum shortening or margarine, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract or equivalent vanilla powder
- 1 tsp cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/2 cup milk substitute (or water)
In a large bowl, wisk together flours, xanthan gum, baking powder, and salt.
In a separate bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy (use a stand mixer for this for best results). Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla and vinegar. Stir in dry ingredients, alternating with milk, making 3 additions of dry ingredients and 2 of milk Stir just until combined after each addition. Spoon/pour into prepared pan.
Bake in preheated oven for 35-40 min (cupcakes more like 20-25) until a cake tester comes out clean. let cool in pan on rack for 10 min. remove from pan and let cool completely.
NOTE – the batter is very, very, very liquidy. Regardless, it still comes out great!