This is a mix of my mom’s recipe, my grandmother’s recipe, and one from Alton Brown. Hence why it is the best potato salad, ever!
This is a delicious gfcf, gluten free, family-friendly recipe! It is also (if you double check ingredients!) a wheat free, dairy free, soy free, egg free, tree nut free, peanut free, fish free, shellfish free, corn free, top 8 allergen free, and a vegan/vegetarian recipe.
- 2 lb small red potatoes (or pretty mixed color potatoes)
- 2-3 medium sweet potatoes (or all purpose potatoes)
- 1/4 cup vinegar (use whatever vinegar you like best; I tend toward apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar, with a splash of balsamic)
- 1 tsp Italian style seasoning
- 2 TBS capers
- 1/2 vidalia or other sweet onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- a half-dozen or so fresh chives, snipped into small pieces (optional)
- about 1/2 cup mayonnaise (egg-free or corn-free as needed)
Wash and cut the red potatoes into smallish chunks. wash & peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into similar chunks. Dump into a pot, cover with water and some salt, then bring to a boil. Cook for 15 min, they are done when you can stick a fork into them.
While the potatoes are cooking, get a large bowl. In the bottom, place capers, onions, and celery.
Drain the potatoes and add to the bowl. Mix Italian Seasoning in with the vinegar, then plash vinegar on top. There shouldn’t be pools of vinegar in the bottom, but they should be moist. Stir.
Cover and let marinate on the counter or in the fridge for 2 hours.
As serving time comes closer, add just enough mayo to keep the salad together. Stir and serve. yum!
Our serving suggestion is with something cooked on the grill and some cole slaw