I made a stew with these 3 primary ingredients once, then promptly lost the recipe somehow. So this is what I ended up making, and it is good enough that the children have chosen to eat it as leftovers, and no one argued about eating it for dinner! This would be lovely without the pork, as well.
This is a delicious gfcf, gluten free, family-friendly recipe! It is also a wheat free, dairy free, egg free, tree nut free, peanut free, fish free, shellfish free, top 8 allergen free, corn free, South Beach phase 2 safe recipe. It could easily be a delicious vegetarian meal by omitting the pork.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3+ cloves garlic, minced
- splash cooking oil
- 1 1/2 lb pork, diced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 1 28oz can black beans, or 2 14 oz cans, drained and rinsed.
- 5 oz frozen spinach (half a 10oz block)
- 2-3 handfuls lentils (used to thicken the soup)
- kosher salt, pepper, Italian Seasoning, and Tony Chachere’s Cajun seasoning to taste (check all seasonings to make sure they are appropriate for your allergies)
- about 6 cups water or broth (to cover)
Pour the oil into a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic. Sauté for a couple minutes, then add the pork. Brown the pork, stirring occasionally.
Add the other ingredients (just add a couple pinches/shakes of each seasoning at the beginning), and bring to a boil. Let simmer (uncovered) for 15-20 minutes. Check that the sweet potatoes are done (a fork/knife should slide through), and taste. Correct seasoning, and serve.