This is a great use for leftover chicken, onions, mushrooms, and pasta. Or if you really love it you can make it with all new ingredients too.
This is a delicious gfcf, gluten free recipe! It is also a wheat free, dairy free, egg free, tree nut free, peanut free, fish free, shellfish free, top 8 allergen free, and corn free recipe.
- 1 batch White Sauce
- 1/2 large onion, diced (or 1 small/medium)
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 3+ cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- up to 10 oz mushrooms, sliced (I like crimini)
- 2 tsp+ italian seasoning, or similar mix of spices
- pinch kosher salt
- up to 1 lb pasta (spaghetti is traditional, but any pasta will work)
- 2+ lbs chicken, cooked and diced (leftover rotisserie chicken or roasted chicken is great, so is BBQ chicken legs or whatever you have on hand)
- optional: snippets of bacon, parmesan cheese
Preheat the oven to 375 and prepare a baking dish with a non-stick foil or a little oil to keep the casserole from sticking.
Make the White Sauce. If the pasta isn’t already cooked, cook the pasta al dente (for Tinkyada pasta, cook it a couple minutes less than package directions – it will cook more in the oven)
Saute the onion, garlic, and mushrooms in a skillet with a little olive oil. Season with salt & spices while cooking.
Take chicken off bones (save the bones for stock another day), dice, and put in a large bowl. Add pasta, white sauce, and sauted vegetables. Add bacon, if using. Mix well.
Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 20-30 minutes, until the top becomes crispy and it is bubbly. If someone at your table can tolerate dairy, they can sprinkle the top of their portion with parmesan.