This is my adaptation of my grandmother’s Canister Cole slaw, or Deli Cole slaw recipe. It’s the only cole slaw I’ve ever liked – it tastes more like a salad, and has a fresh, tangy taste. My husband hates mayonnaise, and this is the only cole slaw he likes as well
This is a delicious gfcf, gluten free, family-friendly recipe! It is also (if you double check ingredients!) a wheat free, dairy free, soy free, egg free, tree nut free, peanut free, fish free, shellfish free, corn free, top 8 allergen free, vegan/vegetarian, and South Beach phase 2 safe recipe.
- 2 bags coleslaw mix (or equivalent shredded green & purple cabbbage with a little shredded carrot and/or pepper for color)
- 1 finely sliced bell pepper (optional)
- 1 cup vinegar (I use a splash of balsamic and the rest cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup olive oil (or other vegetable oil)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper (or several grinds)
- 1 tsp Italian-style seasoning (we like McCormick’s and Mrs. Dash)
- 1 tsp celery seed or celery salt (if using celery salt, reduce the amount of salt a bit)
- 1/3 cup sugar (helps cut the gassiness)
- 1 tsp mustard powder
Bring the vinegar to a boil (via the microwave or stove), then mix with oil, sugar, and spices.
In a large bowl, mix the hot vinegar/oil mixture with the cabbage mix, until well coated.
Put in a tightly closed jar or large covered plastic container, and chill for a few hours.
Serve with anything. This is especially yummy with anything bbq-ed, and if you make some potato salad, it’s even better!
Allegedly this lasts for 6 weeks in the fridge, but we’ve never had it last that long!