In this recipe, I’ve mixed two things my family loves – Red Beans and Rice and Jambalaya. It turns into a great one-pot meal, and was devoured here every time I’ve made it. Like Red Beans and Rice, there’s a lot of flexibility in ingredients, and it is also a great budget-stretcher! Don’t be intimidated by the long ingredient list – this can be ready in about 30 minutes.
This is a delicious gfcf, gluten free, family-friendly recipe! It is also (if you double check ingredients!) a wheat free, dairy free, soy free, egg free, tree nut free, peanut free, fish free, shellfish free, corn free, and top 8 allergen free recipe.
- 1 splash cooking oil (enough to lightly coat bottom of pan)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3+ cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ribs celery, chopped (optional)
- 1 bell pepper, chopped (optional. You can also use some frozen sliced bell pepper)
- 1 1/2 lbs meat, chopped. (I’ve used all sausage, a mixture of sausage and pork, and all pork.)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp or 1 TBS Tony Chachere’s Cajun Seasoning, depending on spiciness level desired. (If you don’t have any, 1/4 tsp Cayenne + 1/2 tsp Cumin + 2 tsp Paprika + 1/2 tsp salt works pretty well)
- 1 splash white wine (optional)
- 2 cups rice (I like Basmati/Jasmine)
- 1 28 oz can diced or petite diced tomatoes
- 3 14 oz cans small red beans
- 8-10 oz frozen cut okra, or about 1/2 lb fresh okra, sliced into rounds
- 1 tsp Filé powder (Cajun seasoning, omit if you don’t have it)
Heat oil a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, plus any celery or bell pepper if using. Stir and cook for a minute or so, then add the meat.
Continue stirring the meat while you add the spices (other than the Filé powder). When meat is browned, pour one splash of white wine (optional).
Add rice, and stir so the spices and juices are mixed with the rice. Stir in the canned tomatoes, drained beans, and then add water (2 tomato-cans worth). Add the okra and the Filé powder, and bring to a boil.
Once the Jambalaya Rice has come to a boil, cover and cook on let simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
Serve with extra hot sauce or Tony Chacheré’s at the table. Yum! This is great paired with a salad and lots of water.