Posted on | December 7, 2007 | 2 Comments
I’m a sucker for lentil soup. I also love quinoa in soup (it reminds me of barley from our pre-gf days), and the combination packs a wonderful protein and fiber punch. This recipe is adapted from a recipe used by Dreama of ReciPlease, but I couldn’t find her original up there.
This is a delicious gfcf, gluten free recipe! It is also a wheat free, dairy free, egg free, tree nut free, peanut free, fish free, shellfish free, top 8 allergen free, corn free, vegetarian & a vegan recipe. If you omit the carrot, this recipe is perfect for South Beach Diet, phase 2.
- about 2 TBS olive oil
- 1 medium/large onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 carrot, finely chopped (omit if following South Beach)
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 TBS rosemary, crushed a bit in your hand
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup wine (optional – but it is preferable if you aren’t using broth, as it will add more flavor)
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed
- 1 pound lentils, rinsed
- 12 cups broth or water
- Kosher Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Method Place a large soup pot with olive oil over medium heat.
Cook the onion, celery and carrots for 8-10 minutes until tender. Add the garlic and cook for another couple of minutes.
Pour in the 1/4 cup wine to deglaze the pan a bit. Add the rosemary, bay leaf, quinoa, and lentils and mix well.
Pour in the water/broth and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until the lentils and quinoa are tender.
Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.